Location:Goodwood, Cape Town
Responsible for the planning, management and delivery of the electrical function and team for the business unit including (but not limited to) overseeing the designing, testing, installing, wiring, maintaining, and upgrading of electrical machinery and equipment according to layout plans, blueprints, and other drawings for various projects across the complex, to maintain electrical systems; and to offer technical electrical engineering support , in line with regulations and business requirements
- 4-Year Degree / National Diploma in Electrical Engineering.
- Minimum of 10 years experience in an electrical position within a hospitality maintenance environment
- Project management experience
- Experience in managing contractors / suppliers
Skills and Knowledge
- Ability to work shifts that meet operational requirements
- Physical ability to lift and control relevant machinery, and equipment and mobility to move around as per job requirements
Key Performance Areas:
Delivered Electrical Preventative Maintenance Plans
- Compile an electrical preventative maintenance plan for the 12 month period for the business unit
- Benchmark electrical facilities, fittings and systems with leading development trends and make recommendations for the improvement of current processes and standards
- Identify and investigate new development, environmental and energy-saving opportunities for the property
- Direct risk analyses i.t.o impact on short term profit margins vs. long term sustainability
- Communicate with all relevant Stakeholders internally at a unit and Group level and externally
- Conduct daily building and grounds walkabouts to inspect and audit electrical supplies, machinery and systems and address any risk areas
- Manage and facilitate electrical maintenance and upgrades according to 5-year plan
- Manage electrical maintenance and repairs in line with 3-; 6- and 12 month preventative maintenance plan
Establish and enforce testing programs; scheduling repairs; coordinating shut-downs and installations
Maintained Electrical Infrastructure
- Co-ordinate electrical maintenance and repair resources and team
- Source contractors for electrical work relating to refurbishments and ensure work is completed to standard and within the budget
- Investigate, diagnose and resolve any escalated issues, risk areas and electrical repairs
- Conduct quality assurance on electrical work and repairs
- Support the team with troubleshooting and resolution of queries relating to electrical work
- Conduct business continuity planning
- Manage staff appearance and floor appearance/ functioning of equipment and systems
- Store and control electrical assets; technical stock and parts
- Update site plan layout thus ensuring building capacity planning & monitoringElectrical Project Plans & Implementation
- Define the scope and resources required to complete the project in collaboration with senior management
- Plans electrical projects by determining specifications; and measures upon which the project will be evaluated at its completion
- Select contractors;
- Establish installation schedules; and plan shut-downs and installations;
- Integrate new or changes requirements with architectural and mechanical designs; verifying code requirements; updating cost estimates.
- Establish and maintain a formal, approved integrated project plan to guide project execution and control throughout the life of the project.
- Prepare and execute a quality management plan that describes the programme and project quality approach and how it will be implemented.
- Manage the execution of a project by making key decisions, exercising overall control, assigning and co-ordinating resources, and authorise and accept work delivery
- Completes electrical projects by supervising installations; resolving design issues.
- Prepare for reviews to report on the progress of the programme
- Document and secure all project information
Electrical Compliance Standards & Governance
- Oversee the development and updating of policies and procedures for designing, testing, installing, and maintaining electronic equipment or machinery; as well as revised testing or installation procedures.
- Oversee the development, communication and auditing of maintenance and engineering standards and processes for the business unit on a regular basis
- Align practices with new legislative compliance around health, hygiene, safety and the environment
- Implement sufficient control measures (including systems and processes) & checks within each department to mitigate any financial risk to the business.
- Conduct weekly walkabouts of all front of house and back of house areas to monitor compliance
- Drive a waste management culture and ensure all staff are trained.
- Work with internal stakeholders to identify risk areas and address these People Management
- Lead and motivate employees and promote positive working relationships, direction and support
- Lead and oversee departmental communication ensuring employee and management interaction
- Measure and develop plans to enhance employee engagement
- Identify and manage training, coaching and development requirements in line with strategic plans, e.g. skills shortages, succession plans, talent management
- Ensure competent levels of staff meet operational level requirements (right fit for the job)
- Source and Select talent as per EE plan to build the future food and beverage talent pipeline
- Performance Manage and coach reporting managers to ensure KPAs are achieved
- Manage employee relations within the function including monthly staff / management meetingsBudget Management
- Collaborate with the Maintenance Management to manage the budget for the electrical function including:
- Cost management
- PIP and forecasting
- Financial reporting on project expenditure and progress
- Monitor and approve all budgeted project expenditures
- Assess the impact of deviations on the project and overall programme, and report results to key stakeholders.
Evaluate the outcomes of the project as established during the planning phase
- Engage with internal customers to understand challenges; issues; development and repair related requirements
- Provides internal stakeholders with updates of electrical, outages and scheduled shutdowns
- Engage and manage the performance of suppliers and contractors
- Engage with management with regards security; health and safety and critical technical breaches or anomalies
- Know How
- Communicate plans, objectives and results to complex operational team; maintenance management team and employees
- Requires specialised theoretical knowledge and processes relating to electrical maintenance practices, processes and regulations
- Medium term planning 12 months involves conducting the planning of activities to support new business targets and growth
- Organise, plan and prioritise tasks for self and team to ensure that work gets done profitably and efficiently;
- Effective scheduling to ensure that team is adequately resourced to achieve targets/meet job requirements.
Interact with stakeholders and team - influencing, motivating and encouraging specific behavior
- Apply business acumen and sound common sense to the overall management of electrical maintenance operations and teams within regulated standards;
- Monitor changes in the electrical maintenance operating areas and is quick to act upon potential opportunities, risks and challenges;
- Consider all the facts, options and possible deliverables prior to making decisions;
- Analyse and diagnose product performance issues in order to maximise or leverage the strengths of the team in a competitive environment;
Deal with diverse problems in own area, using judgment and discretion to resolve them;
- Provide information and make recommendations regarding products and services that will meet operational requirements;
- Solve a wide range of queries related to financial performance, dealing with these sensitively and within operational/procedural limitations;
- Solutions should be profitable and effective in delivery business results;
- Arbitrate / resolve difficult conflict situations / complaints /issues / disputes.
- Optimise and streamline existing systems and processes to support the business strategy in terms of cost efficiency, managing risks and improving the service offering;
There are guidelines/ policies and procedures in place to be followed, but the incumbent needs constantly consider ways of improving productivity and profitability.