The Assistant Front Office Manager is accountable for supervising front desk activities (check-in, check-out, night audit), ensuring that internal (SOPs) and external (tourism grading) standards and procedures are continuously achieved, client disputes / queries are resolved and that the customer experience provided by the department is professionally executed in line with Sun International standards and legislative requirements.
3 Year Hotel School Diploma or equivalent National Qualification at a Diploma level
- Minimum of 3 years experience as an receptionist in a front office environment
- Previous experience in a supervisory or duty management role in a similarly graded star hotel is an advantage
Skills and Knowledge
- Computer Literacy-MS Office, OPERA, IDEAS & OTA
- Ability to communicate at all levels
- Drivers license is an advantage
- Strong administration skills
- Excellent organization, communication and leadership
- Time management, be able to work under pressure and shifts
- Experience in training staff and On-Job-Training
- Proven track record of implementing controls, policies and procedures
- Good knowledge of Revenue Control and Night Audit functions
Key Performance Areas:
- Put in place staff scheduling and duty allocations to ensure maximum coverage
- Handle shift briefings / handovers / shift reports
- Interact and be present on the floor during service to understand and assist clients with requests, special requirements, recommendations, concerns, resolution of complaints, etc.
- Manage staff appearance and floor appearance/ functioning of equipment and systems for the outlet
- Report and resolve any issues experienced
- Manage the control of stock and operating equipment as per SOP for the department
- Cash-ups at the end of the shift
- Complete shift reports
- Facilitate the preparation of welcome letters/cards; VIP amenities and any special requests for guests visiting the property (e.g. special flowers/cake)
- Meet and greet and ensure VIP customers; return customers; guests in high-paying room categories (e.g. Presidential suites); special Occasion customers enjoy exceptional experiences
Front Office Operations
- Monitor and verify room status information, ensuring this is accurate and communicated to relevant stakeholders
- Review arrival list for all arrivals and VIPs to check room allocations, amenities and special requests.
- Oversee and supervises guest arrivals and departures with the front office team
- Participate in checking-in and checking out guests as required and review the rooms system to ensure data hygiene and complete customer information
- Maintain master key control for the shift
- Review daily front office work and activity reports generated by night audit
- Supervises the management of debtors, group and individual guest invoicing and cash operations.
- Conduct cash-up procedures, verifying all bank deposits at the end of the shift
- Monitor all receptionists to ensure maximum guest satisfaction through personal recognition and prompt cordial attention from arrival through departure.
- Develop and track a comprehensive filing system with back-up documentation of, vouchering, schedules, forecasts, reports and tracking logs
- Co-ordinate internal audit procedures, ensuring that procedures (including the pricing policy) are duly applied.
- Supervise staff conditions of employment, e.g. attendance, absenteeism, leave, adherence to policies and procedures
- Identification of employee training needs
- Perform on the job training and coaching to close developmental gaps and build succession for a talent pipeline within the outlet
- Supervise employee relations within the department
- Staff communication and motivation
- Performance contracting, reviews and development
- Assist in providing resources and removing obstacles to performance
- On boarding of new staff members