Responsible to collaborate with the software developers, system operators and the broader IT team to systematically and methodically plan, deploy, maintain and integrate business applications and platform environments, including the design, testing and implementation of those environments, crossing and merging the barriers to integration and engineering suitable release management procedures and post-production support; through coding, scripting and process re-engineering with the aim of ensuring timeous delivery and effective and quality platform performance.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Engineering, Electronics Engineering, Maths or a STEM field.
- Minimum 8 years experience with proven experience and success in Linux/Unix Administration
- Minimum 3 year DevOps practices is important as well as a working understanding of coding and scripting.
- Experience with automation / configuration management with a proven ability to use a wide variety of technologies, tools and cloud service
Skills and Knowledge
Local Trabel may be required
Key Performance Areas:
Deployed & Delivered Applications & Software Plans
- Act as both a technical and operational expert in facilitating the translation and integrations between IT development and the application environment by interpreting technical requirements into practical environments and platforms to support the deployment of the application into the business
- Conduct investigations, research and analysis on potential technology innovations to create a coding environment for new software and application deployment
- Participate in the design, development, testing and release of new capabilities and features with a focus on release and post-production support
- Build automated deployments through the use of configuration management technology
- Implement and/or maintain automated software testing tools/scripts.
- Implement and/or maintain continuous integration tools/scripts.
- Complete testing and fixes within the production environment.
- Recommends system solutions.
- Supports IT colleagues by developing assistance tools.
- Keep up to date with innovation in new and latest solution technologies, and DevOps trends and tools
Project Planning & Management
- Scope and determine the objectives, measures and benefits for the completion of IT development projects
- Create a detailed work plan and schedule which identifies and sequences the DevOps activities needed to successfully complete the project including the allocation of resources
- Review the work plan and schedule with senior management and all other staff that will be affected by the project activities; revise the schedule as required
- Delivering and accepting work products as defined in the project plan.
- Provide guidance, and improve skills on a functional level to ensure delivery to objectives
- Monitor and control solution delivery against plan throughout the project life cycle including working and conducting quality control on vendor deliverables
- Report on the progress of activities against plan
- Set up electronic files to ensure that all information is appropriately documented and secured
- Drive delivery, trouble shoot and support the IT development team by providing insights on leading practice, trends, barriers, risks and opportunities that may impact the business
Delivered System Performance
- Monitor that the functionality and optimal performance of relevant applications and service are operating correctly.
- Oversee the installation of software and ensure alignment with best practises
- Perform the migration of core technologies and tools to the cloud
- Perform system maintenance by providing system validation procedures, maintenance reports, deactivation plans, and other documents, plans and report; continuously analysing the systems to determine when deactivation or replacement is required
- Design and conduct automation workflows, performing unit tests and conducting reviews to ensure work is rigorously designed, elegantly coded and effectively tuned
- Assess the overall quality of delivered components and participate in all stages of test data, develop interface stubs and simulators and perform script maintenance and updates
- Troubleshoot development and production problems across multiple environments and operating platforms, involving the apt use of resources and driving resolution of issues with a focus on minimising the impact on our customers.
- Identify recurring issues and work with IT and business partners to identify opportunities and gaps in system and resolves technical issues through debugging, research, and investigation to achieve resolution and maintain system performance.
- Facilitate the building and configuration of web infrastructure
- Drive improvements to processes and design enhancements to automation to continuously improve the production environment
- Enforce standards and consistencies; ensuring that there are no broken links, missing images, orphaned pages
- Review the interfaces tracking dashboards and reports in order to resolve any data issues timeously
Stakeholder Relationship Management