Responsible and accountable for administering, installing and providing thought leadership on data server and storage infrastructure (including the management and monitoring of the data centre); providing advice and support for the installing, testing and maintaining of server and storage components, ensuring that the Data Centre is kept within a pre-defined standard, administering and maintaining the units active directory (AD) services, maintaining an adequate spare parts inventory of systems, subsystems and component parts used in repair work and that the necessary data protection procedures, including backups, restores and archiving are implemented.
IT Related Diploma or NQF Level 6 and ITIL Certification
- MCSE Server Infrastructure (advantageous)
- Dell / EMC storage (advantageous)
Minimum of 8 years relevant IT industry experience
- Experience with the deployment of large scale production virtualisation systems
- Experience in storage area networks (SAN)
- Project management experience is preferred
Skills and Knowledge
- Local Travel
- May be required to work overtime in line with operational requirements
Key Performance Areas:
Deliver Group Telephony Infrastructure Plans & Solutions
- Understand the Group IT strategic plan and build the 5-year roadmap to deliver and maintain a secure and reliable IT server and storage infrastructure, including data centre management
- Identify and examine IT server and storage technology business needs and determine timely and effective solutions to customer requirements.
- Bridge the gap between available IT server and storage technology and the implementation within business operations
- Conduct feasibility studies, business cases, risk assessments, writes proposals, and creates functional requirements for new and major changes to existing equipment
- Collaborate with business units in developing roadmaps, objectives and deliverables for each property in line with server and storage and data management innovation and updates
- Compile and motivate the business case and provide rationalisation for new server and storage virtualisation plans and data management technology on a regular basis or as required
- Compile action plans and measurements for the implementation of approved projects for the Group including for the installation and upgrading of server components
- Compile project plans and milestones for the implementation of components and systems
- Manage the functioning and enhancements of server and storage and data management equipment and systems to ensure uptime and enhance the guest experience within the business
- Provides feedback and reports back to management on the innovations; risks, project plans and challenges
- Identify, document and analyse risks associated with the business requirements as part of the organisations process for the development of requirements.
- Provide business with understanding of the nature of the solution and the impact it will have on the business processes and organisation
- Address security and availability requirements in response to identified risks and in line with the organisations data classification, information architecture, information security architecture and risk tolerance.
- Business functional and non-functional requirements are defined to reflect business needs and expectations
- Document the underlying business architecture; test plans and coordination of testing effort.
- Be available as a subject matter expert in server and storage and data management planning
Stabilised Servers, Storage & Virtualisation Environment
- Design, build, and deploy server solutions
- Resolve 2nd/3rd line incident support calls including detecting and responding to server and server component technical problems
- Evaluate server and storage performance issues and requests
- Improve and/or automate and script administrative procedures
- Transition incidents to operational support teams
- Assist with managing the technology life cycle
- Knowledge and experience in managing server hardware
- Make recommendations on server components or equipment to improve system performance
- Act as a subject matter expert for the resolution of technical issues related to the server for the business unit
- Maintains safe work environment by following standards and policies.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading technical publications.
- Provides advice and facilitate project upgrades and services to server and data centre equipment
- Plan changes and configuration requirements and project manage implementation
- Conduct repairs and testing of equipment, and detect and respond to server and date centre components or equipment to improve performance
- Identifies performance problems and proactively provides recommendations and solutions
- Recommends changes and enhancements for improved server technology reliability and availability
- Conduct post implementation reviews and escalate any unresolved issues
- Evaluates and updates new server and data management technology to implement and enhance capability to provide state-of-the-art products.
Software Asset & Configuration Management