The Compliance & Regulatory Specialist will be responsible for the proactive auditing, monitoring and assurance of corporate governance processes for Company gaming, FIC (anti-money laundering) and responsible gaming practices, as well as prescribed non-gaming business practices against statutory and regulatory standards , such as but not limited to PoPI, Consumer Protection Act, anti-bribery and corruption, OHSA and environmental legislation. The role will provide guidance and support to the business, regarding core regulatory compliance aspects and to ensure that new product development (from inception to market) meets all regulatory requirements and standards, and that such products are successfully implemented into the Sun International Group.
Bachelors Degree in Law, Auditing or Risk Management
- Minimum 8 years experience in a regulatory environment and / or administrative law
- Experience working with regulatory bodies
Skills and Knowledge
- Written and verbal communication skills
- Proficient computer skills in MS Office
- Advanced knowledge of Legislation and Regulations including gaming, FIC, POPI and SHE
- Auditing methodologies and protocols
- Gaming Processes and Products
- FIC (anti-money laundering) principles and application
- Protection of Personal Information principles and application
- Anti-bribery and Corruption principles and application
- Consumer Protection Act
- Business acumen
- Financial acumen
- Analytical thinking & Conceptual ability
- Results orientation
- Innovation & continuous Improvement
- Plan, prioritise, co-ordinate and manage multiple initiatives
- Attention to detail
- Decision-making and judgement
- Emotional resilience
- Valuing Diversity & Inclusiveness
- Building Positive Working Relationships
- Self-motivated team player with high levels of ethics
Key Performance Areas:
- Research and keep up to date with relevant legislation and regulations in hospitality and gaming, as well as leading practice in the field.
- Develop own knowledge of business strategies and decisions, deals and service offerings as required by the business
- Plan and monitor the implementation of an integrated regulatory and assurance compliance system (including processes, people, standards, management frameworks, practices and technology) to support the business strategy
- Facilitate the implementation of the compliance and regulatory awareness programme(s) and embed compliance monitoring tools
- Develop and maintain the risk management compliance programme, internal control systems and standard operating procedures
- Develop and review relevant internal controls, standards and operating procedures and the practical application in line with regulatory requirements, ensuring these are updated in line with changes to regulations
- Develop and update policies and procedures around responsible gambling
- Plan and monitor the implementation of compliance and regulatory framework, standards and tools for the company, in line with the objectives set out in the Compliance Strategy
- Analyze and research the implication of laws, legislation, etc., that may affect Sun International compliance governance, highlighting these with management
- Update templates and tools to reflect current trends, regulatory amendments and legislation
- Identify areas of risk and shortcomings and update internal policies and procedures in line with new changes in law, regulatory frameworks and leading practice
- Communicate regulatory and legislative changes, as well as updated policies and templates to all relevant stakeholders
- Collaborate with Group Internal Audit in guiding and monitoring internal audit processes and conduct quality assurance to ensure procedural compliance
- Implement sufficient control measures (including systems and processes) & checks within each department to mitigate any risk to the business.
- Project manage activities related to compliance management culture and brand awareness, ensuring all relevant employees in business operations are sufficiently trained where necessary.
- Work with internal stakeholders and business operations to identify risk areas and address these by making recommendations; changes and enhancements
- Co-ordinate the vetting and finalizing of regulatory audit reports and remedial action
- Project manage the auditing and implementation of new and changing regulations and compliance e,g, PoPI, Consumer Protection Act and Financial Intelligence Centre Act.
- Measure operational practices relative to standards across the Sun International Group through the implementation of regular and proactive compliance audits and monitoring
- Conduct analyses of business data, pick up on trends and practices to identify compliance weaknesses and make recommendations and propose initiatives to remedy such weakness
- Provide feedback to GMs and management on any matters of non-compliance
- Prepare integrated and regular compliance reports including the companys foreign gaming interests to the Risk Committee, Sustainability Committee, Social and Ethics Committee, and EXCOM
- Identify training needs for employees performing compliance roles, and facilitate coaching and training sessions as required
- Act as an advisor to internal stakeholders of amendments to regulations and compliance expertise on various gaming, responsible gambling, internal control standards and operating procedures.
- Maintain regulatory files/database and chronologies in good order.
- Provide regulatory reviews of operational challenges and complaints
- Apply effective risk management techniques and offer proactive advise on possible compliance issues
- Collect and coordinate information and prepares regulatory documentation for submission to regulatory agencies or to commercial partners
- Supervise processes relating to the applications for and renewals of national key employee licences, gaming licences, business licences, liquor licences, and music licences.
- Prepare written responses to regulator authorities on challenges and concerns being experienced within operations
- File detailed applications for amendments of core company licences and conditions relating thereto.
- Maintain up to date database of all core company licences.
- Compile and track documentation for license renewals, updates and registrations of new licences
- Acts as liaison between regulators, business units, and business leadership on compliance issues, and consult on issues of dispute
- Communicates with Business Unit on audit results, regulatory updates and assurance standards and support the implementation of remedial action
- Maintain working relationships with the appropriate regulators
- Provide compliance support to non-gaming disciplines i.e. Sustainability, OHSA, Environmental Management and Governance & Ethics, Legal and Corporate Services
- Coach and support GIA with regards changes to regulations and the application of these changes to governed Company practice, and assist in aligning GIA audit scope to applicable legislation.
- Provides feedback, recommendations to resolve compliance issues and report back to management on challenges
- Monitors progress on compliance or regulatory issues and makes recommendations to GMs, and management to achieve resolution