The Night Manager is accountable for relieving the dayshift hotel management and supervising all operational activities across the hotel through the night (including front office reception; guest relations duties) as well as the auditing, posting and balancing of daily financial transactions related to customer accounts, ensuring that internal (SOPs) and external (tourism grading) standards and procedures are continuously achieved, client disputes / queries are resolved and that the customer experience provided by the hotel is professionally executed in line with Sun International standards and legislative requirements.
3 Year Hotel School Diploma or equivalent National Qualification at a Diploma level.
- Minimum of 3 years experience as an receptionist in a front office environment
- Previous experience in a supervisory or duty management role in a similarly graded star hotel is an advantage
Skills and Knowledge
- Collecting Information
- Team Co-operation
- People Supervision
- Appraising & developing
- Analytical skills
- Attention to detail
- Reviewing / evaluating information and data
- Emotional resilience
- Dealing with Customers (including dealing with conflict)
- Self-driven and presentable
- Valuing Diversity & Inclusiveness
Key Performance Areas:
Night Duty Management
- Manage and monitor hotel activities on the nightshift, to ensure the smooth running of the hotel and consistent standards of excellence and safety.
- Conduct briefing for all staff during Night Shift.
- Inform all Overnight staff of nightly activities, group and VIP arrivals as well as special requests and repeat guests.
- Check accommodations, making sure any special requests are carried out accordingly, greet guests upon arrival and ensure escort to accommodations if appropriate.
- Act as manager on duty for the hotel in the absence of the hotel management, dealing with complaints, problem solving, disturbances, special requests and any other issues that may arise.
- Facilitate and be available to ensure the overall smooth running of hotel, promotions, etc. including transport, promotion set-ups, troubleshooting in various areas.
- Be available on the floor and interact with customers to build relationships, understand expectations and provide a hospitable experience for customers
- Oversees staff appearance and front of house appearance/ functioning of equipment and systems
- Maintain operational standards across the property (e.g. housekeeping, maintenance, etc)
- Ensure the collateral in public areas is professionally presented
- Reconcile revenue against applicable segment rate.
- Reconcile cash against revenue generated (per shift).
- Audit, post and balance daily cashiers' work for outlets including, but not limited to, outlets in Rooms and Food and Beverage
- Monitor customer accounts, ensuring all supporting documentation is attached and reconciled, in line with SOP.
- Reconcile credit card system to daily transaction lists
- Generate activity reports for the day, highlighting any areas of concern
Front Office Operations
- Monitor and verify room status information, ensuring this is accurate and communicated to relevant stakeholders
- Review arrival list for all arrivals and VIPs to check room allocations, amenities and special requests.
- Oversee and supervise guest arrivals and departures with the front office team
- Participate in checking-in and checking out guests as required and review the rooms system to ensure data hygiene and complete customer information
- Maintain master key control for the shift
- Supervises the management of debtors, group and individual guest invoicing and cash operations.
- Conduct cash-up procedures, verifying all bank deposits at the end of the shift
- Develop and update a comprehensive filing system with back-up documentation of, vouchering, schedules, forecasts, reports and tracking logs
- Supervise staff conditions of employment, e.g. attendance, absenteeism, leave, adherence to policies and procedures
- Identification of employee training needs
- Perform on the job training and coaching to close developmental gaps and build succession for a talent pipeline within the outlet
- Supervise employee relations within the department
- Staff communication and motivation
- Performance contracting, reviews and development
- Assist in providing resources and removing obstacles to performance
- On boarding of new staff members
- Authorise spend in line with budget
- Report on any variances for the department
Delivered Customer Experience
- Ensures that guests are treated with courtesy and respect at all times
- Interact with guests and provide professional service standards and solutions
- Handle any escalated complaints, disputes and suggestions as required
- Engage with customers and provide a customer experience within the hotel / on the floor that will support brand loyalty ensuring SI as the brand of choice
- Interact and be present on the floor during service to understand and assist clients with requests, special requirements, recommendations, concerns, resolution of complaints, etc.
- Conduct staff training on product knowledge / promotions (including promotion information, functions, facilities, opening times of restaurants; activities;
- Compile plans and flag VIP guests to ensure their experience during their stay is exceptional; including the smooth movement of VIPs to and from activities or restaurants; providing different options and activities, including external offerings, personalising their experience
- Provide post-mortem feedback with regards promotions to ensure these are always relevant and effective
- Shift handover ensures that staff have sufficient insights and information with regards VIP customers visiting the property
- Follow up on Customer feedback whilst the customer is still on site to ensure that any negative customer experiences are turned around to a positive experience