The Front Office Manager is accountable for the monitoring, team management and delivery of front desk activities (check-in, check-out, night audit, guest relations and luggage services), ensuring that internal (SOPs) and external (grading) standards and procedures are continuously achieved, client disputes / queries are resolved and that the customer experience provided by the department is professionally executed in line with Sun International standards and legislative requirements.
3 Year Hotel School Diploma or equivalent National Qualification at a Diploma level
- Minimum of 7 years experience with 3 years in a supervisory /management position in the hospitality industry
- Previous experience in duty management is an advantage
Skills and Knowledge
Work Conditions and Special Requirements
- Ability to work shifts that meet operational requirements (including public holidays, night work and weekends)
- Physically able to stand for extended periods of time
Key Performance Areas:
- Develop front office objectives and deliverables in line with business unit strategy and the customer value proposition, plan and standards
- Complete competitor analyses and provide input into present and future rooms products, rates and services by determining and evaluating current and future customer trends.
- Critically evaluate the front office and accommodation customer experience and manage the improvement and innovation of products and offerings in line with leading practice
- Develop a plan around the customer experience at important touchpoints in the customers journey from arrival, through to check-in, rooming of the guest, luggage services, guest relations and check-out processes.
- Conduct risk analyses i.t.o impact on short term occupancies and profit margins
- Elicit new business opportunities and leverage relationships to ensure cost efficiency; increase revenues, competitive edge and business growth
- Collaborate with revenue management to develop and execute campaigns and initiatives to enhance the customer experience and return on investment
- Compile plans and manage the execution of any new projects and offerings within hotel rooms, such as refurbishments
- Develop and facilitate personalised plans for unique customer requirements in the cases of VIP guests, including butler services, etc.
- Review and manage customer feedback received via various channels e.g. Inquba respond to good or bad customer feedback.
- Review system and report on demand forecasting and yield management including short (1-3 months); medium (3-6 months) and long term (6 -12 month) initiatives to achieve targets.
- Collaborate with Revenue Management to make recommendations to adjust plans in line with statistics and current and forecasted bookings including overbooking statistics, hurdle values; length of stay values, etc.
- Check the room nights and revenue picked up or dropped off; as well as actuals against budget and forecasts
- Check for advance days, weeks and months and resolve any inventory imbalance issues, overselling of room types and sold out dates.
- Make value add recommendations and cost effective competitive solutions that address inefficiencies, opportunities or risks in order to achieve targets
- Oversee the planning and execution of Group arrivals to ensure efficient and streamlined check-in, check-out experience
- Drive the customer value proposition
- Align practices with new legislative compliance, including regulations around health, hygiene, safety and the environment; as well as customer-related regulations
- Monitor and enforce all cash-handling, cash-checking and credit policies and practices
- Implement sufficient control measures against standards (including systems and processes) & checks within each outlet to mitigate any risk to the business, viz. master key control, cash-up procedures.
- Conduct weekly walkabouts of all front of house and back of house areas to monitor housekeeping and aesthetic appearance of the front office and other guest areas, including conducting room checks
- Monitor and verify room status information, ensuring this is accurate and communicated to relevant stakeholders
- Maintain master key control
- Oversee all cash-up procedures, verifying all bank deposits at the end of the shift
- Review occupancies and monitor selling status of rooms on a daily basis, to ensure revenues are maximised, including flash reports, allowances, etc.
- Analyse rate variance, review credit report and closely monitor daily house counts and no-shows
- Review daily front office work and activity reports generated by night audit
- Monitor high balance guests and take any necessary action
- Be available on the floor and interact with customers to build relationships, understand expectations and provide a hospitable experience for customers from arrival and throughout the customers stay
- Identify and optimize service delivery
- Develop and manage the rooms / front of house budget including:
- Revenue maximisation
- Cost management
- Financial reporting for the function occupancies and rooms revenues
- Conduct accurate forecasting of revenues for allocated market segments in alignment with strategies
- Defines Capex requirements
- Handle any escalated complaints, disputes and suggestions as required
- Engage with customers and provide a customer experience within the hotel / on the floor that will support brand loyalty ensuring SI as the brand of choice
- Compile plans and flag VIP guests to ensure their experience during their stay is exceptional; including a smooth VIP check-in, check-out experience, accurate billing and a personalised experience
- Provide post-mortem feedback with regards rooms promotions and campaigns to ensure these are always relevant and effective
- Shift handover ensures that staff have sufficient insights and information with regards VIP customers visiting the property
- Follow up on Customer feedback whilst the customer is still on site to ensure that any negative customer experiences are turned around to a positive experience